How To Make Ugadi Pachadi: Procedure To Make Ugadi Pachadi & Significance Of Tastes In Telugu, Hindi, English : Ugadi is the New Year’s Day for the people of the Deccan region of India. It falls on a different day every year because the Hindu calendar is a lunisolar calendar.
How To Make Ugadi Pachadi & Significance Of Tastes, History
It is a season for ripe mangoes spreading its aroma in the air and the fully blossomed neem tree that makes the air healthy. Also, jaggery made with fresh crop of sugarcane adds a renewed flavor to the typical dishes associated with Ugadi. Ugadi pachchadi is one such dish that has become synonymous with Ugadi. It is made of new jaggery, raw mango pieces and neem flowers and new tamarind which truly reflect life – a combination of six different tastes sweet, sour, spice, salt, tanginess and bitter tastes symbolizing happiness, disgust, anger, fear, surprise and sadness.
Yugadi – Ugadi, Samvatsaradi
- Telugu: ఉగాది Ugadi/Yugadi,
- Kannada: ಯುಗಾದಿ Yugadi,
- Konkani: युगादि Yugādi and
- Marathi: गुढी पाडवा Gudi Padwā
Ugadi Pacchadi: Preparation & Significance Of Tastes:
Ugadi means new Life, new Hope, new Aspirations, and new Beginning. The name Yugadi or Ugadi is derived from the Sanskrit words yuga (age) and adi (beginning): “the beginning of a new age”. Ugadi marks the first day of the new year. People welcome new with lots of preparation. Houses are white washed. Special shopping for new clothes. On this festival people perform puja and prepare Ugadi pachadi. This is the special for Ugadi festival only on this day people prepare Ugadi Pachadi.
Ugadi Pachadi is unique flavored pachadi (chutney) that epitomizes the spirit of Ugadi called “Ugadi Pachadi”,with sweet, sour, pungent and bitter tastes (shadhruchulu or six tastes). The significance of making this pachadi to know that life is mixture of all emotions, happy, sad, good, bad, sorrow that we have to face them all.
How to Make Ugadi Pachadi?
It is a season for ripe mangoes spreading its aroma in the air and the fully blossomed neem tree that makes the air healthy. Also, jaggery made with fresh crop of sugarcane adds a renewed flavor to the typical dishes associated with Ugadi. Ugadi pachchadi is one such dish that has become synonymous with Ugadi.
- Neem flowers Petals : 2 tea spoons
- Grated Raw mango : 2 Table spoons
- Tamarind : A small lomon size ball.
- Green chillies : ½ tea spoon (finely chopped)
- Salt : quarter tea spoon
- Jaggery (gud) : ½ Cup (powdered)
- Banana (Ripe) : 1 No.(chopped to small pieces)
Procedure To Make Ugadi Pachadi:
Soak tamarind in water for 15 to 20 min. and make pulp. It should be thin and watery.(approximately 3 cups). Add some jaggery mix it well so that it dissolves completely. Them you can add neem flower petals, green chillies, Chopped bannana, salt and mango pieces. Mix them well. Thus our Ugadi New Year Special Ugadi Pachadi.
The special mixture consists of all flavours which tongue can perceive, could also mean each flavour stands for some feeling or emotion which is natural in life :
- Neem Buds/Flowers for its bitterness, signifying sadness
- Jaggery for sweetness, signifying happiness
- Green Chilli/Pepper for its hot taste, signifying anger
- Salt for saltiness, signifying fear
- Tamarind Juice for its sourness, signifying disgust
- Unripened Mango for its tang, signifying surprise.
Other Special dishes “pulihora, bobbatlu” preparations made with raw mango go well with the occasion.
Preparation Steps for Ugadi Pachadi Recipe :
- First add the raw mango pieces to the tamarind water and bring it to boil.
- Boil it till mango pieces are tender
- Now to this add jaggery and let it cook till it melts and blends into the mixture
- Remove from heat and keep aside.
- Now in a pan, heat oil and add mustard seeds let them splutter, add neem flower and fry till light brown
- Now add chilli powder and salt
- Mix well
- Take this neem flower tadka and add it to the tamarind and mango juice
- Serve in small quantities as an accompaniment to the main course food.
Ugadi pachadi, Ugadi Pachadi Preparation, Preparation of Ugadi Pachadi, How to Prepare ugadi pachadi